Director/VP of Product - Remote Sensing
InnerPlant is the place for curious people who want to create innovative traits that harness plant physiology and unlock data at scale to boost global agricultural yields and sustainability. We’re backed by industry giant John Deere and other veteran venture capitalists and are poised for massive growth as we reimagine the role of crops in our farming system, developing crops that can tell us what they need by turning plants into Living Sensors.
If you’re a dreamer and optimist, someone who believes they can change the world and want to take action to leave a positive lasting impact - this is the opportunity for you.
The VP of Product - Data and Detection will be responsible for developing and executing the product strategy for the data and detection side of our business. This includes overseeing the development of our R&D hardware/software tasked to detect the fluorescent signals from our biosensor plants, creating the roadmap to collect, analyze, and distribute data to our stakeholders, and lead external technical development partnerships. This is a highly visible leadership role within our organization and will be responsible for managing a growing team, guiding key ecosystem partnerships, and engaging with leadership and Board of Directors. The ideal candidate has deep functional expertise managing large-scale engineering projects such as hyperspectral imagery and data platforms. Effective communication and organization is paramount to the success of this role.
- Develop and execute our data and detection product strategy and lifecycle - from conception through R&D to launch and beyond
- Research customer needs and market trends - particularly in the fields of hyperspectral imaging, remote sensing, and digital agriculture
- Create product roadmaps and product requirements
- Work closely with the science and business teams to ensure the product meets stakeholder needs and is delivered on time and on budget
- Oversee and guide partnerships with satellite companies, ground detection companies, and equipment manufacturers
- Hire, lead and mentor a team of engineers, product managers, designers, researchers, and data scientists
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure product success
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Own responsibility for execution on set targets
- Collaborate with leadership team to ensure clear goals and timely execution of commercialization plan
- Disseminate information between all departments
- Drive a strong culture of iterative learning and data innovation
- Represent InnerPlant at industry events, investor meetings, and public speaking slots
- This is a crazy startup - there is no job that you’d be unwilling to give your best shot
The Candidate We’re Looking for Has:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Data Science or related field (Masters or PhD preferred)
- 10+ years leading data platform / engineering teams and experience building big data pipelines using Python, SQL, and Apache Spark
- 5+ years deploying and maintaining ML models
- 5+ years in corporate strategy, data strategy, or business development that guide on roadmaps and build-buy-partner decision making
- Strong understanding of remote sensing technology and applications
- Deep understanding of the agriculture technology ecosystem and its data flows/pipelines
- Track record of building a partnership ecosystem and developing high-impact, first-of-its-kind partnerships
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment (startup experience is a plus)
- Managerial skills to support, nurture, and motivate a growing team
- World-class communicator and presenter with the ability to simplify complex topics for your intended audience
- Skilled at context-shifting, managing multiple priorities, and finding order in chaos
- Passionate about sustainability and putting farmers first
- Humility and humor
Working at InnerPlant
The US base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $200,000 + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
InnerPlant provides an amazing opportunity to work on some of the hardest problems facing humanity and help design the agricultural systems of the future. In addition to working with a fun team, we offer competitive compensation, insurance benefits, and flexible time-off.
InnerPlant provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.