Sr. Search Engineer
Chemical companies are the hidden innovators behind the end-products we rely on every day. Chemistry is used to make every physical good on earth, including the products we love from Tesla, Glossier, Apple, Nike, 3M, and J&J. And yet, the largest and most impactful industry in the world is still doing business the same way it did 100 years ago.
Knowde is building the first digital marketplace for the $5 trillion chemical industry. Chemical companies use Knowde to market and sell their products online for the first time ever. For buyers, Knowde has become their go-to destination to shop across the entire world of chemistry, all in a single destination.
Buyers use Knowde as their go-to destination to discover and purchase chemicals from any chemical producer, all in one place. By helping pull this industry online, we will accelerate the innovation behind every physical product in the world.
To realize our vision, we've raised over $90M from the world's leading investors, including Sequoia Capital and Coatue.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Search Engineer to join our team. You will be a great communicator with an excellent English level.
We’re building out a two-sided marketplace for the chemical industry which is responsible for 1/4th of global GDP. To support our mission, we’ve embarked on a project to allow our customers to easily find chemical compounds, formulations and documents they may be interested in. This is specifically tailored to the industry we operate in and our customers love it.
This project comes with serious engineering challenges - efficiently ingesting data from a number of different data sources and keeping overall search performance and accuracy in check. We have a dedicated team whose sole purpose is to maintain a complex chemical taxonomy used everywhere in the project. We’re investing in automating as much of this process as is possible - to be able to process a magnitude more data than we do currently.
The successful Search Engineer will be working closely alongside extremely talented and driven engineers to build and support eCommerce / Marketplaces business.
Come Join Us!
What you’ll be doing:
- You will be responsible for architecting and implementing our specialised search engine (https://www.knowde.com/search)
- Make key architectural decisions regarding efficient data ingestion, data structures, API contracts and result scoring
- Maintain existing search features and implement new features
- Generate and track key UX metrics
- Work on service resiliency and search performance
What you should have:
- You should have a track record of shipping working software and a product mindset
- You should be well-versed in Java (several years of experience)
- You have either implemented a search engine in the past or have a keen interest in expanding your knowledge in this area
- You’ve worked with FTS engines, such as ElasticSearch
- You’ve built cloud-based systems on AWS or another cloud provider
Nice to haves:
- A degree in CS or related discipline
- You understand how distributed systems can break, and you understand the different tradeoffs when building them
Stack / Skills / Tools:
- Redis / PostgreSQL
Our Perks & Benefits
- Location: Poland - Rzeszów, Lodz, Białystok, or remotely
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work remotely
- Opportunity to work on innovative projects with a strong team of engineers
- Possibility to learn and develop
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that Knowde upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.
The Controller of your personal data is Kruko Sp. z o.o., with registered office at Rejtana 36, Rzeszów. Your data is processed for the purpose of the current recruitment process. Providing data is voluntary but necessary for this purpose. Processing your data is lawful because it is necessary in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract (article 6 point 1b of Regulation EU 2016/679 - GDPR). Your personal data will be deleted when the current recruitment process is finished, unless a separate consent is provided below. You have the right to access, correct, modify, update, rectify, request for the transfer or deletion of data, withdrawal of consent or objection.