Founded by a UC Berkeley Ph.D. graduate and a SynBio veteran, Pow.bio is revolutionizing the $500B biomanufacturing market by building a self-driving fermenter platform that enables cost-effective scale-up solutions across a wide array of strains, organisms, and products.
About the Position
We are seeking an experienced, motivated Scientist, Fermentation, to join our growing organization. As a member of the fermentation team, you will support our clients in leading the design and execution of fermentation runs, and completing and communicating data analyses and results. You will also aid in internal R&D efforts to design, build and troubleshoot continuous manufacturing platforms across processes and product classes.
- Design and execute scale-up, scale-down, and process optimization experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains to meet product titer and specification goals
- Troubleshoot and perform technical investigations of fermentation runs and provide solutions to issues in process development
- Conduct data analysis using HPLC and other analytical instruments to understand key factors affecting fermentation results
- Participate in tech transfer and scale up of fermentation technology
- Effectively manage communication with external clients throughout the duration of fermentation projects
- Troubleshoot dynamic and interesting scientific problems in an aim to develop and implement a platform for continuous biomanufacturing
- Support downstream processing to develop and optimize separation and purification processes
- Build and maintain relationships with external clients and internal colleagues
- Author SOP’s and technical transfer documents as needed
- PhD in chemical engineering, biological engineering, microbiology or closely related discipline with 1+ years of relevant industry experience, or BS/MS with equivalent years of relevant industry experience
- Broad knowledge and experience of fermentation operations for biochemical production
- Experience designing processes for scale-up and/or scale-down
- Experience with detailed analysis of bioprocess data
- Ability to optimize bioprocesses at the unit operation and process level
- Able to work in a team and adapt to a dynamic work environment involving changing priorities and quick problem solving
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience leading fermentation projects
- Experience with analytical equipment, downstream processing, or scripting
- Experience managing communication with external clients and/or vendors
- Experience managing and/or mentoring RAs
We reasonably expect this role’s salary to fall within the range of $110,000 - $140,000. Individual compensation is based on various factors, including experience, education, skillset, and geographic location. This range may be adjusted as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
Pow.bio offers competitive salaries and benefits including unlimited PTO, company-wide holidays, health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), and commuter benefits.
This position is for our Berkeley, CA location. There is no relocation assistance offered at this time.
Pow.bio is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and inclusion in the workspace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding), genetic information, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.