Chief Architect (Remote)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2023
We started Super.com to help maximize lives–both the lives of our customers and the lives of our employees– so that everyone can experience all that life has to offer. For our employees, our promise is that Super.com is more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to unlock one’s potential, where learning is celebrated and impact is realized.
We are more than a fast-paced, high-growth tech company; we care about our people and take career progression seriously. This is your career and our aim is to supercharge it through the people, the work, and the programs that fuel who we are.
About this team
Super.com engineering has three full-stack product development focus areas: fintech, travel, and a superapp to unite them all. Between them, our dozens of microservices and event-driven architecture handle 1000s of requests and events per second, ingest over 1TB of data per day and process over $1MM per day in sales, while maintaining a 99.9+% uptime. We have 80 engineers across our teams and we work in close partnership with Product Managers, Designers, and QA in an agile, fast-paced scaleup environment (that respects work/life balance).
About this role
As our Chief Architect, you will be the most senior technical individual contributor in our company. You will be the point person for solving the most difficult technical challenges our engineering org faces spanning frontend and backend web development as well as system architecture. You will drive our long-term technology roadmap and how to best leverage engineering to drive user and business impact in our fintech, travel, and superapp products. You will predominantly work with React on the frontend, and a combination of Python and Node microservices on the backend. Other technologies you’ll work with include Gitlab, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake. You will report to the VP of Engineering, and work alongside peer Engineering Directors and Engineering Chief of Staff.
- Oversee the technical direction for engineering org full-stack web development projects and system architecture
- Raise the bar for engineering through mentorship, leading by example, and contributing to technical decision making and working groups
- Tackle high-priority, high-impact, and ambitious initiatives to propel our company forward, getting your hands dirty when appropriate
- Report into the VP of Engineering, but work largely self-directed and autonomously
- Your role will be versatile, making use of your judgment to direct your efforts to the highest leverage use of your time in any given week
- Contribute to quarterly OKR planning and brainstorming to ensure we are prioritizing technical initiatives to improve engineering productivity and architecture robustness
- Help ensure our engineering teams strike the right balance between building quickly and building sustainably, and build vs. buy decision making
- Highly motivated, interested in wearing multiple hats and continuous learning, and looking forward to working in a fast-paced scaleup environment with an emphasis on delivering business value
- Still highly technical and have at least staff-level coding skills at this point in your career
- A positive/enthusiastic person who enjoys solving problems, not just identifying them
- Strong technical and non-technical communication skills
- Get excited about leading cross-team technical discussions and driving architectural change progressively and through influence
- 5+ years experience as a Staff/Senior Staff Software Engineer, or experience as a Principle Engineer / Architect or technical head of engineering (ex. CTO)
- Deep expertise in full-stack web development, system design, and using modern web technologies & cloud-based infrastructure
- At least senior level coding ability in JS or Python, and an interest in working with both
- Have been a technical lead (not necessarily people lead) for shipping major features / projects, and have worked with multiple non-trivial codebases and across teams
- Have mentored senior engineers, and look forward to continuing to do so
- Have experience owning, monitoring, and debugging production services, including high QPS services
Nice to have
- Technical depth with our infrastructure, languages and stacks (python, node, react, postgres, kubernetes, aws, datadog)
- SQL / analytical skills
- Experience in a fast-paced environment
- Devops experience
- Experience building products from the group up
- Has led working groups / guilds to establish engineering best practices
- Mobile / react native experience
We've got you covered
- Competitive salary packages, equity options, great benefits from day one, wellness budgets, as well as personal and team-level development budgets
- We are remote first – you have the flexibility to work from around the world and the hours that make sense for you– so that you can do your best work while living life on your own terms
- Other perks include: unlimited PTO, recharge days, travel discounts on Super Travel, Weekly UberEats credit, annual company offsite
- We welcome new family additions with generous parental leave and a flexible return-to-work plan
- This is just scratching the surface– see our careers site for a more detailed overview of our perks & benefits
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If needed, please notify our Talent Acquisition Partner.