QA Engineering Manager (Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering, Quality Assurance
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, September 2, 2023
We started Super.com to help maximize lives–both the lives of our customers and the lives of our employees– so that everyone can experience all that life has to offer. For our employees, our promise is that Super.com is more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to unlock one’s potential, where learning is celebrated and impact is realized.
We are more than a fast-paced, high-growth tech company; we care about our people and take career progression seriously. This is your career and our aim is to supercharge it through the people, the work, and the programs that fuel who we are.
About this team
The mission of the QA Team at Super.com is to improve the quality of our product and to ensure that any issues are quickly identified & addressed. Our QAs support multiple mission-aligned teams to ensure that their work meets our high-quality standards. QAs are embedded within teams and work closely with engineering, product, and design. When they aren’t validating releases, QA Team conducts exploratory testing, writes automated tests, and works to improve the team’s process and capabilities.
About this role
We are looking for a QA Engineering Manager to guide our QA team. In this role you will directly oversee an expert team of analysts, engineers, and an intern. The QA team validates that our applications meet design specifications, build and implement their own tools, and provide feedback on planned features. In this role, you’ll initiate and lead major quality initiatives, coach and develop the QA team and own our Manual and Automated QA processes. You’ll define the team’s Objectives & Key Results and ensure operational metrics for the team are accurately measured. You’ll interact closely with other teams and operate with autonomy to improve quality across the company.
We’re looking for highly-motivated self-starters who share our excitement for growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be comfortable operating with autonomy and owning the domain of Quality at Super.com. In addition, you are a strong communicator (both technical and non-technical), interested in continuous learning, and interested in the startup environment with an emphasis on delivering business value. You’ve got the technical depth to mentor your team, the time management skills to work with many stakeholders, and high standards when it comes to quality. Finally, you are an empathetic people leader, highly collaborative, data-driven, scrappy, and want to empower your organization to move fast without breaking things.
- “Be an Owner” of Quality across the company and ensure we are delivering high-quality products to our customers
- Decrease the number of defects making it into production relative to features built, ensure already-released defects are found, and identify ways to improve our existing processes
- Contribute to maintaining a fast cycle time - Ensure that releases are verified quickly and thoroughly
- Oversee an experienced team of QA analysts & engineers. You will be responsible for the continued staffing of the team, including being a key contributor to hiring processes
- Define the roadmap for the team, plan OKRs, and drive the team’s agile processes
- Ensure the stability, reliability, and trustworthiness of our automated testing solutions, QA tools, and quality monitoring solutions
- Ensure the success of offshore QA partners
- Propel the business and engineering org forward by leading high-impact projects end-to-end in an iterative, data-driven, startup environment
- Strategically contribute technically - write important docs, tackle difficult problems, exercise product knowledge, jumping in as an individual contributor when appropriate. Unblock and upskill the team when things get tough
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and growth, ensuring team members excel with oversight and mentorship, are working on projects at the intersection of interest, experience, and business impact, and have concrete opportunities for growth
- Contribute to cross-team technical meetings and discussions, and opportunities to improve engineering productivity and processes
- 8+ years of relevant QA technical experience with at least 3+ years experience managing QA teams for consumer-facing products in an agile environment
- Senior-level experience developing test plans, test cases and test reports for web and mobile apps
- Experience working from home, managing a remote team across time zones and supporting multiple products/verticals
- Been involved in hiring & interview processes
- Experience being accountable for the planning and execution of Quality initiatives that are large in scope, complex, involve ambiguity, and result in measurable business impact
- Experience working with product owners, designers, engineers, and non-technical business staff
Nice to have
- Experience with the Fintech and/or Travel industries - particularly familiarity with travel and Fintech applications
- Experience with our specific tools - particularly Webdriver.io, Datadog, Amplitude, GitLab CI, Saucelabs, Testmo, Report Portal, Marker.io
- Have managed staff that are embedded across multiple teams
- Experience at similar stage startups
We've got you covered
- Competitive salary packages, equity options, great benefits from day one, wellness budgets, as well as personal and team-level development budgets
- We are remote first – you have the flexibility to work from around the world and the hours that make sense for you– so that you can do your best work while living life on your own terms
- Other perks include: unlimited PTO, recharge days, travel discounts on SuperTravel, Weekly UberEats credit, annual company offsite
- We welcome new family additions with generous parental leave and a flexible return-to-work plan
- This is just scratching the surface – check out our careers site for a more detailed overview of our perks & benefits
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If needed, please notify our Talent Acquisition Partner.