Engineering Director, Travel (Remote)
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
We started Super.com to help maximize lives–both the lives of our customers and the lives of our employees– so that everyone can experience all that life has to offer. For our employees, our promise is that Super.com is more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to unlock one’s potential, where learning is celebrated and impact is realized.
We are more than a fast-paced, high-growth tech company; we care about our people and take career progression seriously. This is your career and our aim is to supercharge it through the people, the work, and the programs that fuel who we are.
About this role
As Engineering Director for our Travel vertical you will be accountable for the technical strategy, development, and engineering people leadership for our core business, processing over $1MM per day in sales. You will report into our Head of Engineering, oversee three Engineering Managers and two Staff level eng (overall org size of 23). You will collaborate with a Group Product Manager and General Manager as a triad to propel the travel business. You will have the opportunity to have significant operating range, contributing to technical strategy, organizational strategy, tactical project oversight, getting your hands dirty in the code, and contributing to cross-vertical initiatives such as establishing best practices, guilds, and product development lifecycle improvements for full-stack development. Our stack is React on the frontend, and a combination of Python and Node microservices on the backend. Other technologies you’ll work with include Gitlab, AWS, Postgres, Redis, Datadog, Amplitude, and Snowflake.
- Oversee the technical strategy and tactical delivery of ambitious projects to propel our Travel business
- Oversee three engineering managers and two staff level eng, providing coaching, helping resolve technical, people, and process challenges, and completing performance evaluation
- Be a key contributor to quarterly OKR planning in partnership with the product team, ensuring a healthy contribution of initiatives from engineers, rigorous prioritization, and capacity planning
- Ensure appropriate distribution of initiatives across teams and have well-defined collaboration interfaces between travel eng teams and eng teams in other verticals
- Key contributor to engineering architecture discussions and designs
- Work with travel engineering teams to continually improve our product development lifecycle
- Oversee travel engineering hiring and organizational structure
- Ensure our engineering teams strike the right balance between building quickly and building sustainably
- Contribute to cross-vertical initiatives such as establishing best practices, guilds, and product development lifecycle improvements
- Get your hands dirty in the code or code reviews when appropriate
- Highly motivated, interested in wearing multiple hats and continuous learning, and looking forward to working in a fast-paced scaleup environment with an emphasis on delivering business value
- Strong owner that has significant operating range, including an ability to get hands dirty in the code
- Positive and enthusiastic person who enjoys decoding problems, not just identifying them
- Empathetic people leader that provides well-defined growth opportunities for reports, and builds a strong culture
- Strategic thinker who looks forward to working closely with business and product stakeholders
- Strong communicator
- Interested in working with our stack - React on the frontend, Python/Node on the backend, AWS infrastructure
- Data-driven and dives deep into problems
- Interested in a role with: 5-10% IC, 30-35% tech leadership, 20% collaboration / stakeholder management, 5-10% Hiring, 30% team / people management
- Demonstrated excellence leading a team of teams with a focus on full-stack product development
- Have grown a team
- Strong track record of technical delivery of major features/products, and balancing delivery and quality
- Strong knowledge of modern web technologies / tools / microservices
- Strong depth with at least one of backend / frontend web development, and at least intermediate depth in the other
- Comfortable with at least one of JS or Python
- Worked with services at scale
- Experience in a startup or scaleup environment
- Experience with strategic initiatives such as OKR planning and organizational design
- Working experience across a breadth of our existing infrastructure, languages and tools (python, node, react, postgres, redis, docker, aws, etc)
- Stepped into an existing org as a leader before
We Believe in Equal Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If needed, please notify our Talent Acquisition Partner.