Bioprocess Operations Technician
San Leandro, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 4, 2023
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase. We are looking for a Part-Time Bioprocess Operations Technician to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has experience as a laboratory technician.
The role of the Part-Time Bioprocess Operations Technician is to support the Fermentation and Downstream Processing teams in their R & D efforts to produce milk proteins from microbes.
What will you be doing:
- Maintaining, organizing, washing, and autoclaving laboratory glassware, utensils, and other materials
- Prepare stock solutions & manage reagent, chemical, and consumables inventory
- Maintain inventory of raw materials and assist with ordering to ensure sufficient amounts are retained
- Perform sample preparation for submission to the analytical team and run routine analytical procedures
- Help to maintain, clean, sterilize, and setup bioreactors and DSP lab equipment (TFF, Chromatography, Beadmill), as well as managing related inventory
- Learn and execute laboratory techniques such as: SDS-PAGE, biomass harvesting from in-house fermentation runs, and routine spray drying
What we expect from you:
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in the life sciences, or anyone with 2+ years of relevant experience in a biology or biotech laboratory environment
- Ability to work 20 hours per week
- Adherence to New Culture safety protocols on PPE, laboratory procedures and data security
- Ability to follow SOPs and record information clearly and accurately
- Must be able to communicate effectively in written and verbal form - comfortable asking questions or asking for help when needed
- Excellent time management skills, including ability to perform interleaved tasks
- Computer skills: Basic spreadsheet and word processing competency
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Adhere to New Culture values
Even better if you had:
- Previous experience in a startup environment
- Previous experience working with a process development team
- A love of cheese!
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product | Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.
See more open positions at New Culture
Something looks off?